Sunday, March 13, 2011

Slim Slow Slider

The images coming out of Japan continue to stun. I suppose this is what happens when an epic natural disaster occurs in an astral week and place occupied by many cameras. Gruesome footage will ensue. Which sucks but at least it's keeping Japan where it belongs: in our thoughts.


I was drawn in particular to this graphic in today's NYTimes. With a simple slider, one can toggle spatially between before and after photos of specific sites. This is the first time I've seen this technology, and I'm impressed. It's very smooth and powerful, and simple enough for a child to grasp. I used it today to show my kids what happened in Japan. I can imagine all sorts of future applications for rephotographic projects, or maybe even non-rephotographic ones.

If somehow you haven't yet heard, Wall Space has organized a photographic fundraiser for Japan relief. A good cause aimed at curing bad effects.

No comments: